The Breast Health Program at Swedish Covenant Hospital is a comprehensive program that focuses on all aspects of breast health, from screening to diagnosis. The program's uniqueness derives from taking care of the whole person, not just the illness.The multidisciplinary team at Swedish Covenant Hospital, including primary care physicians and OB/GYNs, works together to consider the interactions of all activities—including exercise and diet, screenings and prevention.
Designed to focus on a complete breast health journey, the program:
• Assists women on the emotional and physical journey through a breast cancer diagnosis
• Encourages and helps women complete breast cancer screenings
• Addresses concerns from the moment a woman has an abnormal mammogram
• Educates the community about breast health, screenings and early detection
• Provides resources to uniquely healing services-like nutrition, massage therapy, healing touch, exercise and laughter yoga
• Reduces the time from screening to diagnosis
• Provides personal care in a compassionate and timely matter
Swedish Covenant Hospital is now equipped with 3-D mammogram capabilities through breast tomosynthesis. This innovative mammogram technology provides physicians with higher quality, more detailed images and scan results, which means more accurate diagnoses for our patients.
The 3-D and sophisticated 2-D imaging capabilities particularly benefit younger women and those with dense breasts by locating and identifying abnormalities or suspicious lumps that may have been overlooked in the past.
Swedish Covenant Hospital is one of just three hospitals in Illinois offering this technology.
In contrast to traditional imaging, breast tomosynthesis technology imaging leads to:
• Earlier breast cancer detection
• Less anxiety and faster diagnoses
• Fewer false alarms because of unclear images
• More accurate images in young, dense or fatty breasts
To make a mammography appointment, please call (773) 878-6888. Unlike other leading hospitals where appointments can take months, we adjust our schedules to allow patients to be seen within seven days. If your primary care physician is not affiliated with Swedish Covenant Hospital, you can still schedule your mammogram with us. Your results will be faxed to your physician.
In harmony with Swedish Covenant Hospital's philosophy, breast cancer specialists on staff understand and treat the whole woman throughout the diagnosis, treatment and healing process.
Screening Is Essential
The dedicated staff at Swedish Covenant Hospital works year-round to educate patients and the community on the essentials of preventing and detecting breast cancer. Healthy breast care along with the proper frequency and starting age includes:
• Breast self-exam: Start performing monthly starting at age 20; your physician can show you how to do properly do a breast self-exam.
• Clinical breast exam: Receive yearly from an OB/GYN, primary care physician or other trained medical professional. Receive at least every three years starting at age 20 and annually after age 40.
• Mammogram: Receive yearly after age 40. Swedish Covenant Hospital uses digital mammography. Mammograms are the best available method to diagnose breast cancer in its earliest stages, according to American Cancer Society Recommended Screening Guidelines.