At Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago, the highly qualified psychiatric professionals on staff help patients regain emotional health and well being.
Our collaborative, multidisciplinary team has extensive experience working with people having physical, psychological, social and spiritual issues. In the course of treatment, patients have access to psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, mental health counselors, social workers, occupational therapists, recreational therapists and art therapists.
Inpatient Psychiatric Unit
Should a psychiatric crisis occur, Swedish Covenant Hospital's Psychiatric Services inpatient program provides treatment in a safe environment. Psychiatric physicians and clinical specialists work together to resolve urgent situations as soon as possible so patients can return to the highest possible level of functioning.
Inpatient services are available for patients age 18 and older. The criteria for admission must include one or more of the following:
• The patient is at risk of hurting him/herself
• The patient is at risk of hurting others or causing severe damage to property
• The patient is incapable of taking care of him/hersel
• The unit can accommodate patients who have:
• Any acute psychiatric disorder
• Geriatric disorders, such as psychiatric complications associated with Alzheimer's disease and other dementia
• Dual diagnosis of psychiatric/chemical dependence
• Dual diagnosis of psychiatric/medical problem that can be managed on the unit
Based on initial assessment, an individualized treatment plan is developed with the goal of enabling the patient to join an outpatient program as soon as possible.
Located in the Anderson Pavilion at Swedish Covenant Hospital, the unit has been newly renovated with modern, attractive rooms with private baths. Patients have access to a large, comfortable day room, activity rooms and conference rooms. There are also private interview and examination rooms for physicians' use.
Family and friends can visit patients Monday though Friday, from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. or on weekends and holidays, from 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Visitation is allowed according to the patient's needs and program activities).
Requirements and Other Details
Swedish Covenant Hospital's Psychiatric Services are covered by most health plans. For more information related to insurance coverage, please check with your insurance carrier. The Hospital accepts patient referrals from physicians, clinicians, employee assistance programs, health clinics, social service agencies, clergy, individuals and family members.
• Emergency admission is available on a 24-hour basis through the Swedish Covenant Hospital Emergency Department.
• Project Impact, accessed through Swedish Covenant Hospital's Emergency Department, helps patients and their families determine their insurance coverage before admission. A service of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois and funded by the Office of Mental Health of the State of Illinois, Project Impact employs crisis workers who operate 24 hours a day to pre-screen emergency mental health patients.
• Direct admission may be arranged through the psychiatrist of your choice.