Certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), our Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation programs include medically supervised exercise, lifestyle changes and group support. Our Rehab programs take place at Galter LifeCenter, Chicago's premier medical fitness center.
Why Choose Us: Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation at Swedish Covenant Hospital
In addition to our team of specialized nurses and exercise physiologists, part of what makes rehabilitation at Swedish Covenant Hospital special is the supportive environment. Working alongside fellow patients in small groups, your rehabilitation is a fun and relaxing experience.
Highlights of our program include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation: As one of the largest cardiac rehabilitation programs in Chicago, our experts help you recover faster, regain confidence and prevent future problems. Serving over 300 patients at any given time, even patients who have heart surgery at other hospitals choose Swedish Covenant Hospital for their rehabilitation.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: Our experts help people suffering from lung conditions, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), improve their quality of life in just a few short months.
- Medical fitness center: From elliptical trainers to special stationary bicycles you ride in a laid-back seated position (recumbent bicycles), Galter LifeCenter offers convenience, comfort and easy access to over 150 cardio and strength training machines.
Expert Cardiac Rehabilitation in Lincoln Square
The goal of cardiac rehabilitation is to restore your well-being after certain heart disease treatments, including angioplasty and open-heart surgery. The goal of pulmonary rehabilitation is to maximize your level of functioning and help you avoid complications.
Using a team approach, nurses, exercise physiologists, nutritionists and cardiologists develop personalized plans for each patient. Programs last approximately three months and include supervised exercise, education, lifestyle counseling and group support.
Here’s what to expect:
- Supervised exercise for 30 minutes, three times a week on the equipment of your choice, followed by strength training, stretching or an education session
- Scheduling options to fit your busy schedule, making it easy for you to stay on track
- Breathing re-training to help maximize the amount of oxygen your lungs receive with each breath (pulmonary rehab only)
- Extra support from nutritionists, diabetes educators and exercise psychologists based on your unique needs
After completing your program, you may continue exercising at Galter LifeCenter for a small fee. Under our maintenance program, participants benefit from supervised exercise in small groups. In fact, some patients have participated in this program for nearly 30 years.
For more information, please contact our Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab programs by calling 773-878-8200, ext. 7321.