Should I Visit an Immediate Care Center or Emergency Room in Chicago?
Save Time, Effort and Money
At Swedish Covenant Hospital, our goal is to deliver the care you need when you need it. When an urgent medical issue arises, follow the guidelines below to identify whether you should visit your primary care physician
, an Immediate Care Center
or an emergency room
If you are in doubt about the severity of your symptoms, please call 911.
Primary Care Physician
Open 5-6 Days a Week
Develops a personal relationship with you to get and keep you healthy.
Conditions Treated by Your Primary Care Physician
- Cold, flu and allergies
- Urinary tract and bladder infections
- Medication refills
Check with your physician for office hours.
If you need a primary care physician, visit our Find a Doctor page call 773-878-3627.
Immediate Care Center
Open 365 Days a Year
Provides access to convenient, quality health care for a variety of non-life-threatening emergencies for patients 12 months and older.
Conditions Treated in Immediate Care
- Minor colds and flus
- Upset stomach
- Ear infections
- Certain skin conditions
- Non-critical injuries, such as sprains or twisted ankles
- Minor burns
- Animal bites
Other Non-Emergency Services
- School and sport physicals
- Vaccinations (tetanus and influenza only)
- On-site lab and X-rays (as needed after evaluation by provider)
- Results are sent to patients’ primary doctor
- Pediatric care for children 12 months and older
Learn more about our Immediate Care Centers>>
Provides treatment for life-threatening, time-sensitive emergencies.
Medical Symptoms Requiring Emergency Attention
- Persistent chest pain, shortness of breath or wheezing
- Weakness or paralysis
- Severe heart palpitations
- Severe headache or head injury
- Severe pain in the abdomen or back
- Loss of balance or fainting
- Intestinal bleeding
- Loss of vision or eye injuries
- Broken bones
- Deep cuts that require stitches; bleeding that won’t stop
- Serious burns
- High fevers or fevers with rash
- Vaginal bleeding with pregnancy
- Repeated vomiting
- Difficulty speaking, altered mental status or confusion
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, please call 911 immediately.