Visiting Hours and Guidelines
Swedish Hospital recognizes the importance of visitation to the comfort and healing of our patients. For more information, please refer to our Visitor Guidelines (PDF).
Family and Support System Guide (English)
Family and Support System Guide (Spanish)
Family and Support System Guide (Arabic)
Visitor Masking Policy
- Masks are optional for most patients and visitors, however masks will still be required in areas where we are caring for patients who at a higher risk of infection. Mask up if:
- You are sick
- Are recovering from COVID-19
- Are visiting a designated high-risk area
- Visitors must self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms before entering the hospital or care site.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
- Visitors, please consider postponing your visit of a patient if you’re sick.
- Intensive Care Unit/IMCU: 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily. Only two visitors at a time.
- Medical Surgical Units: 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily. Two visitors for semi-private room, Four visitors for private room.
- Mother/Baby Units: 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily. One person allowed to stay overnight. No children under the age of 18 are allowed to stay overnight during post-partum period.
Galter Medical Pavilion:
- Labor and Delivery: 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Support person (24 hour overnight privileges). 1 designated visitor and 1 doula that meets criteria (does not count as a visitor). No children under the age of 18.
- Antepartum: 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Support person (overnight privileges). 2 visitors per day (not including support person) during visiting hours. Children under 12 may visit antepartum patients during sibling visitation from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
- Mother/Baby: 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. • Support person 24 hours a day (overnight privileges, not counted as a visitor). 2 additional visitors at a time during visiting hours. Visitors must be >12 years of age. Sibling visitation time (for those under 12 years of age) is from 4:00 pm – 6:00pm and limited to siblings of the same household. Siblings must pass health screen and come with a designated adult supervisor who is not the patient.
- Intermediate Care Nursery: 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. No visitors under 18 years of age. Parents only, 2 per bedside at a time. Able to visit 24 hours per day, except at shift change.
- Medical Surgical Units: 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily
- Acute Rehab: 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily
- Inpatient Psychiatry: 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays
Wireless Internet Access
Free high-speed internet access is available across campus via our Wireless Guest Network. Instructions on how to connect are available at nurses' stations and unit front desks. Before connecting to the Guest Network, you must accept the Guest Network agreement, which explains:
- The Guest Network is not secure, and you accept all risks of damage to your computer by connecting to it.
- Wireless users should not transmit their credit card information, passwords or any other sensitive personal information while using any wireless "hot spot."
- Swedish Covenant Hospital cannot be held responsible for theft, loss or damage to your devices.
- Any restriction or monitoring of a minor's access to the hospital's wireless network is the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian.
- The Guest Network is a limited network provided for guests of the hospital, and some websites may be unavailable.
- If you have any problems accessing the internet over the wireless connection, staff cannot make changes to your network settings or perform any troubleshooting on your device.
Patient Room Details
Upon admission to the hospital, patients will receive a copy of our Patient Handbook, which contains information about your stay.
Swedish Hospital is dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for all who enter our facility. All Swedish Hospital employees wear picture identification badges while on duty. The hospital has a closed-circuit monitoring system that records activities in key areas of the hospital and parking facility.
Services for Those With Disabilities
To ensure that patients with impaired sensory, mobility or speaking skills have an equal opportunity to benefit from hospital services, a variety of resources and services are available. For more information, call
773-878-8200, ext. 1700
Swedish Hospital offers three options for guest and visitor dining on our hospital's campus.
Main Building, Basement Level
5145 N. California Ave.
Galter Medical Pavilion, First Floor
5140 N. California Ave.
Foster Medical Pavilion, Ground Level
5215 N. California Ave.
is Chicago's only certified medical fitness center, located on our hospital's campus. For more information, call